Thursday, October 19, 2017

Why Did I Start A Blog?

So, why did I start a blog?

Basically, I want to work on my writing.

Not that I can't write. I can write very well. I learned in grad school that I can whip out a half-way decent 15 page research paper on the history of the bifurcated garment (socks) in days. With that one, I learned not to be sarcastic with my costume history teacher about research paper topics.

The place where I struggle is practicing my writing. Making my writing better. Casual writing. I don't do that. The people who know me, or have met me, know I am a speaker. I teach Public Speaking at Urbandale High School in Des Moines. I love doing this. And writing isn't part of the job description. I was excited about this fact; it means not grading writing. No English teacher enjoys grading writing. Actually, no sane person likes grading writing.

But, alas, those days are over. Not that I don't teach Public Speaking anymore, but I now teach English classes as well that require me to teach...writing.

And then I went to this conference called Iowa Counsel for Teaching English. The theme of the conference was telling your story. And, as they always do at a decent conference, they challenge you to do something different. To improve yourself in some way. There were post-it notes and a wall to put them on.

We all had to write down something we were going to try to do differently to become a better writer. Normally I wouldn't care about improving writer - I want to be a better speaker and teacher instead. But now that my classes include writing, I decided to take the plunge.


My post it note is on the top left. There...for everyone to see.

So here I am. But there are a ton of things I can talk (sorry - write) about. My house is on the market. I have decided to purchase a house with my parents because they are getting older. I am in my 13th year of teaching English. I am a born-again Christian. My rescue dogs are adorable. I love to read and review books. I tell people who ask if I have a boyfriend that I am holding out for an extremely wealthy sugar daddy. So this could get interesting...

AML

4 comments: