Thursday, October 19, 2017

70 Days and Counting...

In August, I made the decision to sell my house.

This isn't a decision I made lightly. I had been thinking about it for quite some time. My mom Sandy and I always joked about buying a house together and my parents could live in the basement and be my servants.

I wish....!

Two years ago, my dad Joe suffered a stroke. It slowed his movement and his speaking a little bit, but thankfully didn't affect his brain function at all. So life became a bit more challenging for my parents. Then my mom was diagnosed with arthritis in her knees which slowed her down as well. Being in their late sixties, I wasn't really surprised about these issues and want to go on the record as being overjoyed that my parents are still with me. Many of my friends parents are not - or have worse health problems. So I am grateful.

But the problem is my parents live about 25 minutes away from me. When they need help, it's a drive. I come over occasionally to change batteries in clocks, move things they can't lift anymore, and generally help out.

I love doing this. My parents have done more for me than anyone can possibly imagine. I love my parents more than anyone else in the entire world, and it's been difficult to see some of the challenges they have been dealing with.

So one day, mom and I were again talking about the huge house we were going to buy so we could all live together. The next week, I found that she had talked to a friend of ours who is a realtor and was more serious than I thought.

So I decided. Living alone is getting old and I enjoy my parent's company immensely. I also want to conveniently be there for them when they need help and wouldn't mind having someone help me get my car to the shop and make me soup when I get sick. So there are a lot of benefits for all.

Now, 70 days later, I have started to experience what it is like to try to sell a house. A beautiful house. With lots of gorgeous woodwork. And one closet in the entire house. And a REALLY small second bedroom.

This could take a while...

AML

No comments:

Post a Comment